The integration of several avalanche protection systems – already available but now renewed – is the new philosophy behind the Ferrino collection of backpacks for 2015.
Once life-saving systems were separate, with the backpack and airbag on one side and on the other, the Air Safe respirator to prevent suffocation when under the snow.
Together with its research and innovation staff, Ferrino had the idea of creating a “full-safe” backpack, the only one of its kind to be equipped with both forms of safeguard. And the designers at Ferrino have succeeded in the arduous enterprise of including a respirator inside a backpack that also has the most leading-edge airbag system on the market. The result is an integrated safety device never seen before: the FULL SAFE 30, airbag plus respirator plus Recco reflector in a single backpack.
The Ferrino backpack collection dedicated to freeride consists of three models with different sizes and different integrated devices, making it one of the most complete ranges currently available on the market:
- BREATHE SAFE 25 BACKPACK with Air Safe respirator + RECCO reflector
- GLIDE SAFE 20 BACKPACK with Alpride Airbag + RECCO reflector
- FULL SAFE 30 BACKPACK with Alpride Airbag+ Air Safe respirator + RECCO reflector
FULL SAFE 30 BACKPACK
The very first backpack on the market to integrate the main safety systems together: Air Safe, Air Bag and RECCO reflector. Research and innovation in a single backpack, created by the technical staff at Ferrino, in conjunction with the Alpine Rescue Service and the Mountain Medical Centre, Valle d’Aosta.
AIR BAG ALPRIDE
Together with the avalanche safety equipment (arva, shovel and probe), the Airbag increases the probability of survival in case of accident. ALPRIDE technology has led to the development of an Airbag that thanks to its rounded shape, offers maximum protection against upper body and head injury and excellent floating in an avalanche, as it prevents deep burial in the snow.
Pulling the handle will enable the airbag, releasing the gas from a cartridge that inflates the airbag in three seconds via an internal valve. Weighing just 1.2 kg, it is the lightest Airbag system currently available on the market.
ALPRIDE SET CARTRIDGE
Every airbag has 2 cartridges:
– Cartridge filled with ARGON: this gas guarantees excellent inflation speed. It contains 15 litres of expanded gas with an internal pressure of 180 bars.
– Cartridge filled with CO2: this gas guarantees optimum airbag expansion and volume. It contains 30 litres of expanded gas with an internal pressure of 70 bars. It is the same cartridge used for motorbike airbags.
It is the mixture of the two gases that guarantees an optimum inflation speed of 3 seconds.
Together with the safety kit (arva, shovel and probe), the AIRSAFE respirator increases the probability of survival in case of avalanche, making it possible to breathe when buried under the snow.
The anatomical mouthpiece with tooth grip drastically reduces the risk of it coming out during an avalanche.
ANTIFREEZE BALL VALVES
– The ultra-light, precision ball valves guarantee rapid, effective switchover for easy, natural breathing.
As the wearer moves, the ball valves move with him or her to prevent freezing, down to tested temperatures of -40°C.
– How do they work? As the wearer breathes in, the ball valve allows air to flow in from the area above the shoulder strap. When the wearer breathes out, the ball valve directs the CO2 so that it is expelled from the bottom part of the backpack.
READY TO FLY
This backpack can be transported in the hold of aircraft because it conforms to IATA (International Air Transport Association) rules
- WEIGHT MAX: 3,10 kg
- WEIGHT MIN: 1,90 kg (without airbag and canister 1,2 kg)
- WEIGHT MIN: 1,5 kg (without airsafe 400 g)
- FABRICS: Double Nylon Cordura® • Diamond HD • DuPontTM Hypalon® reinforcements.
- CARRYING SYSTEM: Padded and quilted back and shoulder straps in breathable mesh fabric • Removable padded and ergonomic waist belt in breathable mesh fabric • Removable thigh strap for use on left or right side • Removable back panel • Load lifter • Aluminium safety buckle on waist belt, shoulder straps and chest straps.
- POCKETS: Front probe / shovel holder • Internal safety pocket • Padded mask pocket • Small pocket on waist belt.
- ACCESSORIES: Front ski holder • Front compression straps / side strap for snowboard/ snowshoes • Ice axe holder • Compatible with h2bag hydration control system • Gear loops on waist belt • Emergency whistle • SOS instructions.