Sesto, 12 September 2017 – When in four days – on Saturday 16 September – the start gun for the 20th Südtirol Drei Zinnen Alpine Run is fired, a high calibre group of athletes will set off on the popular mountain run in the Dolomites – UNESCO World Heritage.
Among the men there are two athletes that have made their mark in the Südtirol Drei Zinnen Alpine Run 2015. Andzej Dlugosz from Poland won the renowned mountain running event in Sesto two years ago, Cesare Maestri from Trentino came second 24 months ago. Dlugosz also ran last year but when the distance was shortened due to snow, he was not able to compete for victory and came in in 9th place. Then, former World Champion Petro Mamu from Eritrea won ahead of Hannes Perkmann (Val Sarentino) and the Austrian David Schneider. With a time of 1:22.44 hours Mamu is the track record holder for the original distance of 17.5 kilometres with an altitude differential of 1350 m.
Another international skiing icon also always has the Südtirol Drei Zinnen Alpine Run in his programme. Marco Büchel from Liechtenstein, silver medallist at the World Championships giant slalom in Vail 1999, winner of four World Cup races and 18 World Cup podium places is now a skiing expert for the German television station ZDF. Büchel’s wife, Doris, is responsible for the jubilee book that is published for the 20th anniversary and includes many fascinating anecdotes and background stories.
Kreuzer challenges Bottarelli
Leader among the women is last year’s winner Sara Bottarelli. The 26-year old from Val Trompia in the province of Brescia won in September 2016 with a time of 1:16.28, followed by Elena Casaro from Dobbiaco (1:20.06) and Victoria Kreuzer from Switzerland (1:23.54). Kreuzer won the Drei Zinnen Run in 2014, came second in 2013 and third in 2014. She will be a serious challenger for the stage victory. Another possible winner is Mariagrazia Roberti. The 51 year old from Puegnago in the province of Brescia won the Südtirol Drei Zinnen Alpine Run in three consecutive years from 2010 to 2012. Austrian Susanne Mair is also one of the favourites.
From a South Tyrolean point of view, local athlete Agnes Tschurtschenthaler is also a contender for the highest step on the podium. In 2015 she came second behind Antonella Confortola and would possibly have been the third South Tyrolean winner after Nathalie Santer (1998) and Renate Rungger (2013), if she had not fallen during the final descent and lost valuable time.
Race sold out for weeks
Edeltraud Thaler (Lana) knows the Südtirol Drei Zinnen Alpine Run like the back of her hand and has been successful with all her starts. Last year she came in the top 7 for the fourth time. In 2013 and 2015 she came in fourth.
A total of 1000 mountain runners from 22 different countries will be at the start in Sesto. The Südtirol Drei Zinnen Alpine Run has been sold out for a good three weeks – earlier than ever before. In the previous 19 editions a total of 14,714 participants reached the finish in the South Tyrolean showcase event. This means that during the jubilee edition, the 15,000th athlete will make it across the finishing line.
Roll of honour Südtirol Drei Zinnen Alpine Run
- 1998 Marco Gaiardo ITA 1:23.25
- 1999 Marco Gaiardo ITA 1:23.46
- 2000 Emanuele Manzi ITA 1:23.22
- 2001 Jonathan Wyatt NZL 1:19.58
- 2002 Jan Blaha CZE 1:46.11
- 2003 Thierry Icart FRA 1:47.58
- 2004 Jonathan Wyatt NZL 1:40.17
- 2005 Jonathan Wyatt NZL 1:40.35
- 2006 Martin Ashley Cox GBR 1:45.27
- 2007 Antonio Molinari ITA 1:28.54
- 2008 Helmut Schiessl GER 44.50
- 2009 Helmut Schiessl GER 1:28.51
- 2010 Jonathan Wyatt NZL 1:26.23
- 2011 Jonathan Wyatt NZL 1:29.02
- 2012 Gabriele Abate ITA 1:26.16
- 2013 Petro Mamu ERI 1:22.44
- 2014 Jonathan Wyatt NZL 1:27.58
- 2015 Andrzej Dlugosz POL 1:31.01
- 2016 Petro Mamu ERI 1:02.06
- 1998 Nathalie Santer ITA 1:49.18
- 1999 Izabela Zatorska POL 1:38.20
- 2000 Izabela Zatorska POL 1:35.17
- 2001 Anna Pichrtova CZE 1:31.47
- 2002 Anna Pichrtova CZE 2:00.54
- 2003 Ruth Pickvance CZE 2:11.43
- 2004 Anna Pichrtova CZE 1:57.54
- 2005 Anna Pichrtova CZE 1:56.14
- 2006 Anna Frost NZL 2:06.01
- 2007 Antonella Confortola ITA 1:46.44
- 2008 Antonella Confortola ITA 53.52
- 2009 Anna Frost NZL 1:42.59
- 2010 Mariagrazia Roberti ITA 1:44.45
- 2011 Mariagrazia Roberti ITA 1:51.00
- 2012 Mariagrazia Roberti ITA 1:47.36
- 2013 Renate Rungger ITA 1:49.28
- 2014 Victoria Kreuzer SUI 1:48.10
- 2015 Antonella Confortola ITA 1:48.06
- 2016 Sara Bottarelli ITA 1:16.24
20th Südtirol Drei Zinnen Alpine Run – Programme:
Friday 15 September 2017
– 1:00 pm to 9:00 pm: Issuing of start numbers and expo at Casa Sesto
– 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm: Knödel party with Tyrolean music
Saturday 16 September 2017
– 7:00 am to 8:30 am: Issuing of start numbers and runners’ breakfast
– 9:00 am to 6:00 pm: Music for a great racing atmosphere and culinary delights – public viewing of the race on a large screen
– 10:00 am: Start of the 20th Südtirol Drei Zinnen Alpine Run at Casa Sesto
– 12:15 pm: Flower Ceremony in the finish area at Rifugio Antonio Locatelli
– 1:30 pm to 5:30 pm: Pasta party
– 2:30 pm: Charity VIP run in aid of Alta Pusteria cancer support
– 5:00 pm: Awards ceremony at Casa Sesto
– 6:00 pm: Start of the 20 Years Südtirol Drei Zinnen Alpine Run Festival with the band Stodl Gang, DJ and Fine Art body painter Johannes Stötter
Sunday, 17 September 2017
– 10:00 am to 2:00 pm: Music for a great racing atmosphere and culinary delights
– 11:00 am: Start of the 13th Mini Drei Zinnen Alpine Run.